This quote has made its way to my consciousness today because, in spite of its truth, it symbolically represents one side of a seemingly irreconcilable dichotomy of the Christian way. Metaphorically, the chasm between each side would be the space between two diverging byways, one traveled by Braveheart, the other by a bald Buddhist. Not to say that the Christian life is one part violence and one part self-centered enlightenment-seeking. It is to say the way of Jesus seems to beckon us to passionately live for Gospel-born freedom for the Earth and simultaneously let go of attachments that keep our hearts entranced with the Earth’s concerns.
In words, the dichotomy seems more like two sides of the same road. In practice, I have found these ideas to be much harder to implement together. At times, I will be passionate or charismatic or ready to give my life for some noble cause. These highs have traditionally been followed by conversely depressing lows. Other times, I have tried to just let go of Care altogether. I don’t recall ever outright thinking that Care itself was an enemy, but, as I’ve tried to let go of desires that keep me rooted in the world’s constructs, I find that most of what American culture serves up as worthy of Care, isn’t.
My current context has brought this dilemma to a head. The heartbreaking events in Orissa serve as a constant reminder that, in the world’s current state, irrational hatred can be just down the road. They bronze Jim Elliot’s words as a true source of hope. Yet, because of those same events we are confined to this 68-acre campus—not only separating us from the true need of that situation, but from the needs that already existed just outside this campus.
I am tempted to again shift towards detaching myself from desire—even the desire to care about these needs—so I’m not tortured by these events, my desire to help, or just boredom itself. Thankfully, though, this situation has also opened the way towards my dilemma’s solution. The solution isn’t a balance between passion and personal dispossession—I’m not one for balances. However, I see a harmony opening up in my mind and this context for a way of being made up of both detachment and passion.
Oddly, one of the main contributors to these revelating thoughts is the last commandment: Do not covet. I once read a Jewish commentary on the Ten Commandments that outlined three of them pertaining to our relationship with God, five of them to our relationship with others, and two of them for our relationship with ourselves. Those two are keeping the Sabbath holy and not coveting. The implications on keeping the Sabbath holy are pretty incredible, but it’s in not coveting that I am finding freedom to walk faithfully in this situation.
As I was reading Exodus a few weeks ago, I felt God’s Spirit leading me to realize that I have been coveting situations that I don’t have. As I am letting go of what I don’t have, my eyes are being opened to all the opportunities right here and now. I’m taking advantage of a rare time in my life that is slow enough to focus on areas of my character that get overlooked in my breakneck American lifestyle. I’m rediscovering what it is to listen and love simply. I’m finding permission, by shear absence of demand on my time, to just be with the boys in the orphanage. I’m honestly falling in love with these little guys (a post to come).
The divergent paths are harmonizing as I am discovering the joys of a simple life and just exactly how simply one can live (if you haven’t tried bucket-bathing yet, you simply must!), while learning what the fundamental, moment-by-moment elements of Love are. This simplicity is clearing a path in my life to live as Jim lived, and especially Jesus. I’m finding a clearing in my heart to have the passionate vision of Jesus while seeing that passion nurtured by increasingly living in Love’s simple rhythm.
Passionate vision is finding an outlet. This last few weeks Abbie and I have been blessed with redesigning the ministry’s website. For the record, here’s the “before” picture:

Check this link in the coming days for the unveiling of bcmindia.org 2.0. Though we still have much work to do, we’re pretty excited about what has come out of our creative partnership.
Additionally, possibilities for serving in other areas of India (that would allow me to be closer to the needs in Indian culture) are making themselves known. I will post on those as/if they come to fruition.

8 comments:
Justin,
Your words were reminiscent of a psalm from the Old Testament, very well written. Thank you for your time and effort in making contact.
Apparently, the situation continues to be hostile in India. The Spirit continually confirms that you are under the watchful eye of the Lord and I know his word to be true. Yet, it is refreshing from a human standpoint to see your words and know that you are doing well in spite of the situation.
Our continued prayers and fasts are with you and those in India.
Love, Tiff & family
thanks for the update and the continual revelation of what God's doing in your heart...'the opportunities that are here and now'...those are the most important because it's what we can actually do something about...
so your words about "bucket baths" remind me of a time in my life when I was living in morocco and our water source would sporadically stop working, with no apparent reason...it was most adventurous when it was november and december and quite chilly in northern morocco and we would heat water in kitchen pots over our gas flame and "bathe" that way after a few days of no cleansing...oh that was the life.
isn't it interesting how it seems to always work this way...when you jump into an opportunity that seems and is exactly what Jesus wants you to do, it always changes to be not what you expected but what God expected. stay strong, your time is short, treasure the moments you have everyday and love love love. God knows what he is doing....isn't that great!
peace to you.
Justin,
Glad to hear from you. It really warms my heart as your mother to know I've been blessed with a child that makes such a effort to stay in a close walk with our
God. Your one amazing guy!!!
Web cam is available-do you have one??
Everyone says hi and lots of love.
Mom
Jus,
Thinking of you...
Love, Tiff & family
Tiff-Thanks for praying and fasting for us here. This place needs 'em! Also, thanks for being consistent in checking in with me. It's nice to know my loved ones are paying attention!
Becca-haha, it's so true... those are the ones we can do something about. We should hope for things, but not at the expense of loving right here, right now!
Martha-Oh man.... ya know bucket-baths and using water as TP here isn't s bad because of the heat (and I've posted here before that I even kind of like them better... at least the water for TP...). But in a cold climate like you describe of Northern Morocco (that's close to Europe, huh?) man... that wouldn't be nearly as fun. Even in the wee hours here, the breeze can blow and make it a bit cold when bathing. Thank you for your encouragement! It's so weird how God does seem to pull the switcharoo sometimes, but He always knows what He's doing and where it's leading... great words! Thanks for the encouragement to love, as well :-) Also, I am sorry for not keeping up on our blog convo lately... I haven't forgotten! AND I have been LOVING the free Sigur Ros song that I downloaded onto my lappy before I left... I wish I brought the whole new album!!!! SO good!
Motherdearest-It warms my heart to hear that that warms your heart and to be share such great experiences and thoughts with you! I do have a webcam. Did you download Skype from Skype.com? We'll chat for free! (that goes for anyone else with a cam that reads this and wants to chat!)
Oh Justin, the wonder of bucket baths. Welcome to the story of my life!!! That's the way to go. Less water wasted.
I am so glad to hear that you are learning and growing so much--that you are learning to make the most of the moments that God has given you, and to soak in the lessons a slower-paced life affords you. I know God will bless you and increase your faith and your understanding of Him at this time.
Praying for you, my friend.
Cynthia
@Cynthia-I'm glad what I'm writing and experiencing resonates with you! I'm especially glad I can share in your childhood with my bucket-bathing!
Post a Comment