Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Whoa India

It has been almost a week since I flew out of Portland International Airport to embark on a three-month visit to Rameswaram, India. 22 hours in the air, a night in a questionable hotel, 12 hours by train, and a 12 ½ hour time change later, I arrived. To be honest, the journey was tiring, but decently enjoyable. I had a great travel partner, Bekah and the airline made cross-country flights in the US look like an overnight road trip with nothing to eat but cabbage (mmmm, you can smell it now can’t you?). We flew coach and Lufthansa still brought us full meals, free beverages every hour (from OJ to Baileys), and hot towels… just cuz.
Plane Ride
Bekah and I chillin' in style.


Sunset over Northern Canada from planeRemarkable Northern Canadian sunset from the plane.
After we changed planes in Germany, the new plane even had personal screens built into the back of the following seats. We could choose from 12 movies and several TV shows from the touch-screen menu. Ridiculous, but I enjoyed it! Frankfurt AirportOur new friend Gokul we met while on a layover in Franfurt. He was visiting his hometown, Chennai, from his new home in the US.

After arriving in Chennai we could immediately feel the humidity, even at midnight! The airport windows looked like the side of a greenhouse. Abraham, his wife Ruby, and their daughter Ziona (named after the biblical Zion) met us outside and helped us get checked into a hotel. The hotel was a 3 star in India and maybe comparable to a roadside motel in the US—with less bugs, surprisingly. Not complaining, just sharing the experience. I had my first bucket shower, watched some really funny Indian music videos, got a few hours of sleep and went exploring when daylight hit. Chennai was busy, dirty, and full of bustle. We shopped around a bit for snacks and a few other items. Contrary to many other experiences westerners have shared with me, all the prices we were given seemed to be inline with what people informed us we should pay for certain items.
Chennai shopsChennai street
Some pictures of Chennai. They don't do the bustle, or even grime, justice. But they do capture the unique culture decently.


The train ride was fairly pleasant. We had a sleeper section for the overnight journey that we shared with 6 other passengers. Before we boarded Ruby warned us, “Don’t give anything to anyone and don’t talk with anyone.” To which Bekah reacted, “Are you listening, Justin? You’re the one always talking with everyone.” I tried to obey, but those Indians in our section were just so darn cool. After the train ride I was starting to get used to people staring at us. Since leaving the airport I have only seen 3 other Caucasian people so I can understand. I think I even made a little kid cry yesterday just by my sheer whiteness (it’s like a superpower!). We arrived in Rameswaram at 5:15am on Saturday. We have been treated with beautiful hospitality and patience as we adjust to our new surroundings. There have been some pretty funny moments—moments which I hope to blog about soon—but the most constant experience I find myself having is questioning. I have had so much to do in preparing to leave that whenever people asked me if I was getting excited, I couldn’t honestly say. I hadn’t had time to think about it. In general, the secret that I’ve told few people this last few months is that I have felt less spiritually and emotionally prepared the closer the time of departure got. It wasn’t a psychological thing, but more a pragmatic divergence of energy from a balance of inward and outward disciplines to purely outward. I am so thankful for this journey, for God’s gracious love, and for anything that my life here may lend to seeing God’s dreams for this place become more realized. Simultaneously, I am doing all the self-examination, mediation, reflection, and, though not enough, intentional prayer that I have been missing these past few months. Why exactly was I called here? What steps and decisions do I need to make to draw the divine energy needed to engage this mission with excellence? How do I need to grow? I can’t wait to share more of Rameswaram with you: the people, the food, the environment, the culture. I also have relish to share my experiences and activities since spending time with this wonderful place. There is already so much to share. We are finally getting the internet situation worked out so I should be able to update this blog more frequently. For now, would you please pray for my time here, for God’s loving guidance? Thank you for all the wonderful, multi-faceted support that has gotten me this far. Know that I am often praying for each of you whenever I think of you.

27 comments:

cingargirl said...

Justindia?,

Only my kid would come up with a name like that, I dig it!

Well, you certainly look far more rested on the plane than you did when I left you at PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL.You finally blogged and I finally can breathe-I've had a "mom's stomache" for a wk.

It sounds as if India is everything you'd thought it would be and more, huh?

Wow, Jus, I can't believe you did it...the reality sets in as I look at these photos you've posted. Your awesome...

Continue to stay safe{no water-Ha!Ha!} I'll continue to pray for you. I know you'll come home a more enlightened and fulfilled person because of your experiennce.

Enjoy and continue to do God's work blessing others.

Blog again soon.

Love you,

Your "Family"

Ken, Mom, Kae'lyn,Alex and oh ya-Kimmy.

taveryt said...

Justin,

Glad to see you arrived in India although we didn't see you off! Security was tight but for all our good. Jordan and I tried to get a special pass to see you off. Just know we care!

Grandma sends her love (she doesn't know how to access your blog and comment so I am keeping her updated). Likewise, she was amazed at your ability to put your thoughts in words so eloquently.

You will remain in our constant prayers. Keep the faith and strength. Enjoy your time and experiences.

We will look forward to further news on your site.

Love, Grandma, Tiff, Jim, Jordan

PS: SAVOR those spicy foods for me!!! Mmmm...I can just smell the food thinking of it. Tiff

ABIGAIL HARKSON said...

Justin...what a great blog entry...I'm glad I was able to "experience" the travels over with you through your writing. I'm excited to see you in less than a week.

And, since I won't be there to say it: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

J May said...

Thanks fam! It was a pleasant surprise to see your comments here! I will def be posting more now. I glad to see you are thinking of me as I journey! I'll def continue to be careful of the water ;-) and I am loving the food... more on that in a coming post about the culture, hopefully. Tif, tell Grandma hi! Mom, glad my blogging could ease your stomachache! It's funny how momish you have come to be! Love it :-) Love you guys!

Abbie-I think you and I are the only people up on the internet. Everyone we know has got to be asleep back home, huh? haha. 12 1/2 hours is such a strange difference! Oh and thanks for remembering my bday! It's strange that it is this wkend! See you soon, Coconut!

onebun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
onebun said...

It all sounds so exciting!

I'll be praying for you, although I'm certain that God is in control and that he'll accomplish great works through you.

..and happy birthday on sunday you ol' coot!

बहुत प्रेम,
ben

J May said...

Hahaha, old coot. Thanks for praying and thanks for the reassurance of faith in God's providence. How is Texas ya whippersnapper? Whoa... whippersnapper is in the dictionary. Any way, those characters you signed off with are rad but they kind of gave me a lil anxiety when I saw them because I'm trying to fix this computer here that has viruses coming out its... airflow vent. It actually makes it so you can't edit the registry by opening notepad instead of regedit. ANY way, great to hear from you, Ben! Miss you, bro.

Unknown said...

Very cool Justin - reading that definitely encourages me to continue my own traveling of the world - I love it! Thanks for sharing - it's a true gift...

Have so much fun...be truly blessed!
Bec

Unknown said...

ahh the days of being a jet setter, you make me feel young again...

JOSH

Cynthia Mathai said...

Your photos, your stories, your hopes for growth and transformation fill me with such envy and excitement.
When I look at your photos, I am reminded once again of the beautiful collage of colors that is found in such a unique way in developing countries. Ahhh...you make me want to take a plane right on over and join you all.

Justin, I am sad to hear that you were leaving from PDX (literally five minutes from my work) and I never got to see you off:( Anyway, I am excited to hear more stories and journey with you through this adventure.

God bless you abundantly, brother.

Yman24 said...

Right on man, Glad you made it safe. Can't wait to hear more bro. Peace and Love.

J May said...

Rebecca-Thanks for the encouragement! I know you are familiar enough with traveling halfway across the world. Australia... man.

Josh-What's all this old talk? Haha. Thanks for stopping by, bro. It's encouraging to know you are keeping tabs on me. Oh, I think I'm gonna mention JCB in the next post. It was part of a crazy story.

Cynthia-Yeah, I thought about letting you know I was leaving from there because there was a bunch of stuff at Abuelo's for kids here I could have brought. ALas, I was just too busy. I literally had to circle the airport a few times just to get the calls in I needed to before getting out!

Glennard-Dude. Badminton here sucks. Its hard to keep that shuttlecock in such small courts... and out of the clotheslines that make the border! Any way, thanks for checking my blog. I pray all is well in the hood.

I love you guys. Thanks for checking in with me!

cingargirl said...

Justindia,

Mom here. Trying to fix computer, doing a dry run.

Love, mom

cingargirl said...

Justindia,

Ok, now that I know I'm up and running...

Good mornin' or evenin', which is it? And hey what time does your day start-about 3-4am is common there I here??

All is well here. KK and Alex say hi. Kimmy says, "meow-meow".

Here's a few more I wonders:

Have you enjoyed one of those awesome motorcycle rides yet?

How hot/humid is it??

Are there really dogs running amuck everywhere???HA!HA!

Hey, in case I'm gone like usual this wkend.-"HAPPY 26TH". How will you celebrate INDIAN STLYE? Creatively knowing you...

Have you been assigned a permanent position or res. yet? If so write more.

Bye for now--

Love,

MOM

P>S> Remember no-drink water and try and wash behind the ears...now that's MOMISH!!

Anonymous said...

yay for east indian music videos!
so glad you made it safe and sound.
So glad you've discovered your super power! Whiteness!
oh ben, what a show off signing in sengali. Next you can take your super power and go visit him since he lives in "White Settlement" Texas. You will for sure be a super hero there.
love ya lots, take care! jules

taveryt said...

Jus,

Your updates and photos are so enlightening and descriptive I can almost feel the air and taste the food.

I am sure you will forever feel a fondness and love for the people of the culture after your travels are finished there.

Continue to enjoy your time and experiences as we continually look to your blog for updates while on your mission.

Have you had much opportunity to witness of the Christ to those in your area? Curious if you are proselyting much? Update as you can...

Love much,
Tiff & family

J May said...

Thanks, Tif! I'm glad that the posts are useful! I haven't personally proselytized here. I hope to be part of a village outreach where we will go engage the locals of some village in conversation about Christ and share His great news with them. In this area they try to keep out of the public as a regular thing because there are some dangerous groups who are very violent. I pretty much just go out for the purposes of buying something or going to a particular place at this point. I'll let you know as this develops.

taveryt said...

Interesting...what are you doing while in the "city"? Have you been to the orphanage? I can just imagine how cute some of those little Indian babies are!!

Grandma says you may be on an island. Are you? I have yet to "find" you on the map on the net. What is the town/city name you are currently in?

How long will you have computer access?

Tiff & family

cingargirl said...

Jus,

How is India? Does your hand smell??? Are you going to teach children there about India soon? Will they understand you??

I'm starting school 1 wk. from Wed. I'm going to tell alll my friends that my big brother is on a mission in India.

Have fun there. Ilike all your pictures.

Love, Kae'lyn


Jus,

Are there any dogs there?

Are there any cats there?????

Alex

Think of you,

Love, Mom

taveryt said...

Jus,

I've been wondering how Bekah, your travel partner is doing? How is she adjusting? Does she have a blog we can access and see her point of view as well?

What are traditional birthday celebrations in India? Will you have cake? ;)

Waiting for your next post.

Love much,
Tiff & family

taveryt said...

Jus,

According to the time on the internt it is a little after 1AM where you are...so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Love, Tiff, Jim, Jordan & Grandma :)

onebun said...

Miss you too man. Texas is pretty awful, I can't wait to get out of here. Hoping to be back in the northwest by mid-October maybe? Nothing is set in stone yet though.

Sorry to hear about compu-problems, I'll refrain from any more Hindi for your sake. Hope you get everything figured out. Have you tried opening regedit through the command prompt?

http://www.askvg.com/solution-exe-files-always-open-with-notepad-or-other-applications/

J May said...

Tiff-Thanks for the bday wishes! I did have cake. I'll prob post the pics later. I have been by the orphanage but haven't been in yet. I have got to talk to some of the boys (which I'll be spending time with on the weekends, at their school here on campus in the day, and hopefully in some eves).Bekah is adjusting really well. She is super easygoing. Her and I both sometimes struggle with (not) being able to talk at certain times because of cultural appearances. But, all in all, she's well. She doesn't have a blog yet, but she may once she sees me and Abbie blogging. Abbie's blog is here: abigailharkson.blogspot.com. You may read it and stop reading mine because she's a dang good writer. Abbie will be arriving tomorrow from her first leg of her journey in Calcutta (you can read about it on her blog).

Kaelyn-My hand smells great so far (not going number 2 quite as regularly as I adjust to the food). That's great you are starting school in a week, buddy! I'm glad you are excited about your older brother's mission here :-) That makes me smile!

Alex-There are a lot of stray dogs and I've seen one cat (that got locked in Bekah's room on accident, she tells me!). There is also a lot of wondering cows and goats! Everywhere! Oh and sometimes donkeys!

Ben-The Ben is back in town!!! Woohoo! We must kick it when I get back. I briefly tried it through the command prompt but moved onto other things when simply entering "regedit" did nothing. I'll check out that article. Thanks, brotha!

taveryt said...

Justin,

Our continued prayer of safety and restored peace for your area are with you and Bekah as well as Abbie as she safely arrives to join you today.

May God bless you all and keep you in his sight.

Prayerfully,
Tiff & family

taveryt said...

spider-man 1 from jordan 1234567895784558

J May said...

Thanks, Tif.

Thanks especially to you, Jordan, for your creative commenting :-)

taveryt said...

Justin,

I read through Abbie'e emotional experience meeting Chanda. I did not understand how to leave a post on her site. It appears she did arrive safely in spite of the current situations there.

How are you and Bekah doing? Were you able to get out to your village to proselyte?

You are in our prayers. Please update us as you can.

Love, Tiff & family